There’s still time to come in, meet our dark furred sweeties, and fall in love!
Fall is the perfect time to adopt a new family member. Precious Paws has several wonderful cats that are looking for their forever homes. Won’t you stop by the shelter today and take a look? You just may find a forever friend there.
Precious Paws Humane Society of Chisholm, Minnesota has accomplished much this past year without a shelter manager. Volunteers and board members alike have stepped up to handle all of the duties involved in running a shelter, as well as finishing several large projects that have made the shelter a safer, healthier place for the animals and volunteers alike. But because the majority of us work full-time and can help only in our spare time, the everyday duties of shelter management have become a burden to all.
Therefore, Precious Paws is looking for the right person (or persons) to take over the full-time duties of manager on a strictly volunteer basis. If you love animals and have always wanted to manage an animal shelter, either part-time or full-time, we would like to meet with you. We would even consider two or three people sharing the position as co-managers. Besides giving safe haven to our area’s abandoned, abused, lost, and surrendered animals, Precious Paws has become a resource for several local communities by providing protection, spay/neuter and rabies clinics, and lots of TLC to our animals. We have also become a haven for local youths.
Precious Paws is a no-kill, 501(c)3 non-profit shelter that is managed and operated with unpaid volunteers. The managerial skills needed for this position include abilities to make financial, medical, and operational decisions; good oral and written communications; and a compassion for animals. Fundraising ideas and grant-writing skills would be helpful.
Manager duties include:
- Making vital decisions daily on the care and comfort of the animals.
- Making medical decisions, such as spaying or neutering, current shots and medications.
- Distributing medications and keeping accurate records.
- Making financial decisions such as reconciling the checkbook and making deposits. (computer skills would be helpful)
- Paying bills and handling tax information.
- Taking calls from the public and determining which animals to take in as surrenders.
- Support other shelter volunteers and making them feel welcomed, appreciated, and comfortable.
Other duties include daily chores that involve:
- Cleaning all dog and cat kennels/cages: which includes washing dirty litter boxes, scrubbing kennel floors and seeing that all animals have fresh litter and clean bedding.
- Providing fresh food and water.
- Washing, drying, and folding many loads of laundry.
- Random cleaning of shelter; scooping dog feces from yard and building.
- Keeping track of shelter supplies, picking them up and putting them away.
- Ordering supplies needed to run the shelter.
- Picking up/putting out donation boxes and depositing donated money.
- Knowing shelter forms and filling them out.
- Assisting potential customers looking to adopt or just browsing.
- Processing incoming animals, which can include medical decisions and checking for other health issues.
- Taking animals to the vet.
- Attending local events to promote the shelter and its animals.
The duties listed above represent our wish list of skills in a manager, but we would be willing to talk with anyone who is interested in volunteering and handling even a few of these chores, even for a few hours a week.
Precious Paws Humane Society is now partnering with Twin Ports Spay and Neuter Center to offer affordable spay and neuter services to area residents and their pets. Twin Ports does not offer a transport vehicle like our previous clinic did, so Precious Paws will now rent a van and find a driver to take the animals to Duluth on the day of surgery. Starting in October of 2015, this change in procedure means we will need to charge a transport fee for each animal taking advantage of our spay/neuter program. In addition to surgery fees, and any shots that may be requested, transport fees will be added as follows: $5 for cats and $10 for dogs. Our spay and neuter day will remain the same—the 3rd Tuesday of each month. Pets need to be dropped off at Precious Paws on Tuesday morning between the hours of 5:15 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. They will return on the same day and can be picked up at the shelter between the hours of 5:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. You will still be required to pay all costs the week before the transport date.
PLEASE SPAY OR NEUTER YOUR PET!
Transport available – Every 3RD TUESDAY of the Month
Call today to reserve your appointment (218) 254-3300
High-quality, low-cost spay/neuter for cats & dogs